This prosperous and enterprising community was first settled by A. J. Fembling and Mr. Ballard. These were soon followed by E. J. Arnold, Dr. J. X. White and Mr. Green, all from West Virginia.
During the disastrous drouth of 1886-1887 emigration stopped, but the natural advantages of the locality held the first settlers, and even in the most trying period brought Mr. P. N. B. Ghormerly.
The Freeman and Bashan brothers, J. C. McCoy, T. D. Freeman, E. J. Arnold, T. J. Finn, W. R. and C. C. Bashan and Dr. J. W. White organized the school community and a school house was put up at once. T. D Freeman was the first teacher, and A. J. Tyson, editor of the X-Ray, published at Rising Star, followed him.
The Romney Post office was established August 15, 1890, T. D. Freeman, Postmaster. The country has developed rapidly. All agricultural products, fruits and vegetables grow well, making this one of the most progressive communities in the County.
Mr. W. P. Grubbs of Arkansas established the first store, then sold to H. D, Holbrook. At present T, D, Freeman, who has charge of the long-distance telephone and is Postmaster, has the only store in the village, which also contains a blacksmith shop, a gin and a good school. The Baptist, Disciples of Christ and Methodists have organizations and worship at the school house.
The citizenship of this locality represents a moral and progressive people, who welcome all who come among them.
Source: History of Eastland County, Texas, by Mrs. George Langston, A. D. Aldridge & Company, Dallas, Texas, 1904.